Paediatric Deep Brain Stimulation (pDBS)
SEPTEMBER 14 - NOVEMBER 16 | 3:00 - 4:00 PM EST | THURSDAYS, 5-SESSIONS
This program is designed for healthcare practitioners seeking knowledge about pDBS (Paediatric Deep Brain Stimulation), and will introduce pDBS, its application to epilepsy, surgical considerations and post-op care management and outcomes.
Healthcare providers can present your de-identified case for advice, support and written recommendations.
This series is facilitated by The Hospital for Sick Children.
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) is a treatment option for certain conditions that involves surgery to place electrodes within a specific area of the brain. The electrodes are then used to deliver an electrical current to relieve neurological symptoms associated with conditions such as epilepsy. DBS is used to treat epilepsy when other treatments, such as medications or special diets, do not work to relieve symptoms or if the treatments produce unwanted side effects. DBS is not a cure for any of these conditions but can be an effective treatment to relieve symptoms and improve quality of life.
- List current indications for deep brain stimulation (DBS) for drug-resistant epilepsy (DRE)
- Describe the basic mechanisms of DBS
- Discuss evidence from literature with regards to DBS in DRE
- Differentiate amongst the three neuromodulation techniques: deep brain stimulation (DBS), responsive neurostimulation (RNS), and vagal nerve stimulation (VNS) for DRE
- Review the basic mechanisms of DBS, VNS and RNS
- Describe the key predictive patient factors to consider when choosing patients for DBS
- Overview of the surgical procedure
- Discuss anatomical targets for DBS lead implantation and common considerations for site selection
- Identify surgical contraindications to DBS in DRE
- Describe the basics of post-operative care and monitoring for patients undergoing DBS
- Discuss common post-operative complications and management
- Discuss potential cognitive outcomes in patients with DBS implantation
- Review the basics of DBS titration
Resources, Didactics & Recordings
Dr. Carolina Gorodetsky
Medical Co-Lead/Paediatric Neurologist
Dr. George Ibrahim
Medical Co-Lead/Paediatric Neurosurgeon
Dr. Elizabeth Kerr
Nurse Practitioner (Neurosurgery)
NOTE: Zoom Registration is working, you will receive a Zoom email confirming registration after you complete the form. However you may also receive this onscreen message “echo.zoom.us refused to connect” after registering. Do not be concerned, we are looking into this issue. But please email us at email@example.com if you do not receive the Zoom Registration Confirmation Email within 5 minutes of registering.